(#50 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
03-17-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I also completely believe that there will be a total meltdown.

However, I don`t share the belief in the media hype that it will explode and make the rest of Japan uninhabitable.
An explosion without containment WOULD cause some serious problems. But these HAVE containment, and as the control rods have been properly inserted there is a much lowered risk for criticality.
But they`re still going to melt down and make the reactors useless. Well, they`re already useless because of the seawater, but even more of a mess to clean up afterward.

People seem to forget that these reactors were designed to contain a full meltdown with minimal environmental impact. Obviously not "no impact", but NOTHING AT ALL like Chernobyl, which didn`t have anything in place to contain or reduce the effects of a meltdown.

It`s sort of like comparing a candle sitting on top of a newspaper to one in a candle holder sitting on tile floor. They both have the chance of falling over and getting their wax on things, but there is a lot less risk involved with less cleanup when it is on the tile. Chernobyl was something like the candle on the newspaper - Fukushima is like the one in the candle holder on the tile.

The plant shut down automatically. There was no way to continue cooling after it was shut down. How is this "avoid shutting down" the plant? It went completely offline when the shaking started.
As soon as they got pumps in there, they went to pumping seawater - something that completely ruins the entire reactor.

I honestly cannot see where there was any stalling in an attempt to keep from shutting things down. Getting things completely shut down in the reactors suffering problems was and is in the best interest of the electric company, as it means they could bring those that are not damaged back on line more quickly.

I suppose you could interpret hoping for proper cooling solution so that they didn`t have to completely destroy the reactor "stalling" - but it isn`t as if it actually used any time as they neither had the coolant nor a way to pump anything at all in even without.
It`s like being in a desert and hoping for some fresh water when there is none at all, but then settling for some muddy puddle water when you finally find one.

Listening to you is making me feel better to be honest.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.