View Single Post
(#192 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-17-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Yeah, because it's always good to take donations and welcome foreigners who are willing to help. So what? How can you even argue that? Japan is a powerful economic nation, the consequences of the earthquake would have been a million times worse if it had happened somewhere else. I agree all countries should support Japan in its recovery, but not by giving money as I can hardly think of a country in a better economic condition than Japan's in at the moment. If you want to donate money, give it to those countries who truly are in need of money; if you want to help Japan, go there help clean up the mess. Money, they got plenty.
So because Japan is an economic power they don't deserve the money as much as a third world nation run by dictators?

I am not seeing the correlation between "economically strong government" and "people freezing in the cold without food and water". They need help now. It's that simple. Foreign aid workers are on the ground digging people out, get people fed, finding bodies and getting them taken care of. THESE people don't fly there by magic. It takes money to get them food and equipment, get them on planes get them working.

You seem to have a lot more faith in the Japanese government than the people of Japan do right now.

Everyone is suspicious of the government until they need help, and now you and Ronin are saying "No, the government is strong. They can take care of the Japanese people." Well, which is it. Is the government capable of doing it on their own or not? The last 5 days show us, clearly not. The money put into the relief effort is not going to building harbors and bridges. It is going to try to save lives, get people out of danger, recover bodies, and clear paths so the healing and building can even start to begin.