View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
jugglingtam (Offline)
Banned

Come to Tokyo- it's FINE! - 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM

Hello there,

I am living in Makuhari, right next to Tokyo and have to say that everything is FINE! I recently took a job here (after living here for several years in the past), and had to hear it from my friends and family. I figured the American news was sensationalized and I was totally right.

1. Yes, there are aftershocks. But even on the 6th floor of a building, all they are is a little shaky shake for 10 seconds at a time.

2. Yes, there is damage. But things are getting back on track. In my area, 95% of stores/restaurants have reopened. There is PLENTY of food. So much that I think I might pop. Trains are operating on a holiday schedule which is still frequent enough to do everything. Blackouts are every day as of now, but not in hotels from what I understand. They are only 3 hours at a time. It's fine.

People freak out because that's what people do. However, people here are calm and have gotten back to daily life. There is no to delay your trip. In fact, it's probably a good time to come because there will be less tourists because of the paranoia. I am surrounded by a million people and none of us, including all my fellow expatriate teachers, are going anywhere.

Check out my blog for more details and pictures:
Tam Does Japan… Again | Take Two in Tokyo

Sincerely,
Tam