View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-06-2011, 05:28 AM

One of things I fear these days is a decline in incredulous and logical thinking. And it's often people who claim to be sceptics who are the worst. Most of them wouldn't know the first thing about what it is to be a true sceptic. It's always amused me over the years to often see the same people who are so called climate 'sceptics' are also the same people who believe in an extra-terrestrial explanation for UFO's or believe in paranormal phenomena and a whole range of conspiracy theories. You can't be a sceptic and believe in such things, it's impossible!

It also never ceases to amaze me just how little most people seem to understand about the world around them. With little to no science in their background to help explain what they see it's little wonder they turn to the weird and wonderful explanations for things out there and little wonder they are susceptical to believing just about anything they see on the internet or elsewhere. They have no basis from which to distinguish real science from pseudo-science and fantasy and no basis from which they can distinguish good sources of information from bad. I also blame a lot of it on religion. To believe in any kind of supernatural being means you have to suspend rational, logical thought and just have faith that what fairytales you are being told are true. Once you've done this it makes it much easier to suspend rational, logical thought in a whole manner of things. It's much easier to sway your thinking when you are willing to accept things as true without any proof whatsoever.