View Single Post
(#55 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail747 View Post
Yes, globalization is something that's bigger than ever these days. I agree with everything in your post.

I guess its just that as I was growing up, where I come from, barely anyone knew Japan even existed, let alone wanted to travel there. From this, I always assumed that it would be an extremely untravelled country.

Of course, this was challenged and my obsession kicked in when I saw on the internet that Japan is a really big thing in places like America, and it had a LOT more interest than I previously thought. I guess that just caught me off guard and made me like this. :/
If what happens in mainland Japan upsets you, Okinawa would infuriate you to no ends. ><

About globalization, I think it's a lot more than that.
Other South-East Asian countries are being affected by globalization heavily and still have WAY less of a western influence and presence than Japan does.
For good reasons or not, for better or for worse, if it deserved it or not, Japan got socially violated raped used and run through a fine tooth comb after world war two. The generations of people produce after that each have their own nicknames which relate their psyche to aftermath of the social changes post-war.
There are cultural similarities to the Japan of the past but it's an entirely different place.

If you see the "untouched by westerners" feeling, there are in fact many places you can go to have that effect!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.