View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

04-19-2011, 09:02 AM

The text goes 深山?雪 (deep in the mountains, ? snow). I cannot read the third kanji, i'd need to search some cursive script dictionaries. Basically the text describes the painting, it is most likely some 熟語 (idiom). Both writings (front and the back) have the same phrase written on. The simple reason for it is, that you do not have to unroll the whole scroll to see what's written on it. The same text should be on the box, with calligrapher's / painter's seal pressed on it.

The name of the artist, well this is a pen name so readings can be many. "Meien" would be one of them. It means "pure garden" or "pure (clear) park". 明園 . But the meaning of this pen name can be specific. For instance it can be a reference to a place he was born, or anything really (like a pure aura of the garden at dawn). Pen names have hidden meanings.

Well, if you have a box for the scroll, you should roll it up every 10-15 days (but can be as long as a month or two) and let it rest. Also, if this is silk, you should buy some insect repellant pouch or a sachet (they are called in Japanese 虫止め, mushidome) and insert it inside the box with a rolled up scroll. In fact, even if it is a usual cloth you should do the same. After few days, you can unroll the scroll and hang it again

There is a special way of rolling up a scrol. Not sure how is your Japanese, but here you go:

http://honakote.com/?mode=f5

Final knot should loiok like this:

The cord can be undone by a single pull.

Anyway, when you roll up the scroll, handle it by the axis, so you wont smudge the painting, as such:

Gently pulling it down by the sides to tighten the rolled up material (but do it with feeling and not too strong).

The ink is waterproof once aplied on paper, but do not use wet cloth for cleaning the surface of the scroll. I do not think that dusting it is necessary at all. The thing you need to be especially careful about is the seal, which may stay "wet" for a long time.

Keep it hanging away from direct sunlight, as it might damage the paper. If it is real Xuan paper it should not turn yellow, however, if you have smokers in your house it might as well, with time.

Putting scroll in the frame will ruin it, as you cannot unmount it from the scroll, and mounting technique for the frame is slightly different (more rigid). I'd leave it as it is.

Lastly, the palce you hanged it is not very good. It's in a doorway isnt it. First of all it's not well displayed, and two, passing people may damage it.
Not sure how much space you have at home, but one should arrange the space around the scroll, not the other way around. Only then it will reveal all of its secrets.

Last edited by ryuurui : 04-19-2011 at 09:10 AM.