View Single Post
(#59 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
I don't know if that's true because I'm not the least bit familiar with the Islamic ways but someone told me that Muslims are always buried underground and it's like a sacrilege for them to be buried elsewhere, so it's kind of odd that his corpse was thrown in the ocean.
American Islamic leaders nod sea burial, while CIA, DoD give details | AHN

I think burials at sea are pretty rare, no matter what one's religious background. However his body was not simply "thrown in the ocean" but followed strict Islamic traditions for such a ceremony, including burial withing 24 hours of death.

Earlier U.S. officials stressed that the sea burial followed Islamic custom. Appearing at a White House briefing, John O. Brennan, Presidential top counter terrorism adviser said, “The disposal of — the burial of bin Laden's remains was done in strict conformance with Islamic precepts and practices," adding, “It was prepared in accordance with the Islamic requirements.”

“We early on made provisions for that type of burial, and we wanted to make sure that it was going to be done, again, in strict conformance. So it was taken care of in the appropriate way," Brennan said.

Earlier at a briefing at the Pentagon, a Senior Defense Official explained the justification saying, “The justification for burial at sea is when there is no land alternative. And as -- according to Islamic teachings and practice, deceased must be buried with proper procedures within 24 hours. And that was the basis for that decision.”

The official added, “There was no available alternative in terms of a country that was willing to accept the body, and we took pains to ensure that we were compliant with Muslim tradition and law, and sought to dispose of the body, using the appropriate procedures and rituals, within 24 hours.”