Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

05-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?
If my sentences seem to be strange, or you have better and more natural expressions, please tell me.

How to say “Hello” in the Japanese language.

I have heard that native English speakers do not like to repeat what they have just said. Is this right? For example, when you say “Hello”, you would not repeat the word and instead say some other greeting. When you are told “Nice to meet you”, you would use “good to see you” or some other expression.

In Japan, you don’t need to change phrases you have just heard. “Hello” is “Konnichiwa”, and when you are told, “Konnichiwa”, you should reply with “Konnichiwa”. If it is after sunset, people would say “Konbanwa”, so you should respond with “Konbanwa.” No Japanese people would think your vocabulary is poor or that you are not greeting from your heart when you repeat a greeting.

To be honest, I do not see why you would need to demonstrate various expressions all the time when you speak in English. Why? If I may add, many native English speakers always seem to try to present their power and strength. I believe that it must be only natural in some countries, but things are opposite in Japan. People try to avoid showing their strength.

Have you seen Sumo? It’s the traditional Japanese-style wrestling. When a sumo-wrestler from a foreign country held up his fists when he became a champion, Japanese people criticized him saying “He showed off his victory.” We prefer coolness.

In 1998, the Japanese soccer team went to the World Cup where they needed to learn how to express their joy by raising their arms and running around. They thought the Japanese style would seem too calm among many countries.

Anyway, you do not need to represent your strength in Japan. If you do the worst that could happen is people may dislike you. However, it’s only too natural for you, and you might not understand what I mean here. Just keep in mind that humility is prized in Japan if you are planning to visit.

Thank you!
Lots of useful information, Yuri. I do agree Western society is more confrontational and concerned with showing power (only have to look at my avatar to see that, heh) and having control of all situations.

As for the composition, only a few verbs had to be changed. "Said" was changed to "told" to better demonstrate the action being taken on the object of the sentence by the subject of the sentence. Revisions were also made to the sentence talking about representing strength in Japan and the worst that could happen to a Westerner's reputation with the Japanese people.

Hope that is of some use, Yuri, and I haven't contradicted myself too much compared to the discussion in the "say/tell" thread.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"