View Single Post
(#73 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Ronin; Iowa has a deal with China about tradeing hogs and another for corn. These were specifically crafted under then Governor Vil-whoever he was. As to wether the Ag department has any say over it, who knows..they change rules, laws and defacto departments so often, I doubt anybody really knows who's connected to what.

I do understand what your saying about Scottland, It's not quite the same as it is with the States. Does Scottland send anybody to the House of Commons or House of Lord? Does Ireland? Personally I don't know if they do or not. Thought Scottland was a "commonwealth".
Ryzorian, this reminded me how my state, Oregon, has it's own trade office in Tokyo. The office has native Japanese staff whose job is to help facilitate travel and trade strictly with businesses and locales in Oregon. Our geographical location makes this more obvious than an office in, say, London, but there are only a couple other states that do this, I believe. This is separate from the US Trade officers there. I, too, am not sure about legalities, but I know my state strikes up deals with other countries for trade that other states do not have, and works independent of the federal government in making those deals. Obviously they cannot break federal laws, but still.