View Single Post
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-07-2011, 04:11 PM

part of Yuri's recent message about behaviour in Japan.

"Anyway, you do not need to represent your strength or rich vocabulary in Japan.
You may say why showing your strength is connected with your wide vocabulary, but proving your large vocabulary all the time seems to be demonstrating your ability for me. If you do the worst that could happen is Japanese people may dislike you. However, showing your ability and vocabulary must be only too natural for you, and you might not understand what I mean here. Just keep in mind, if you are planning to visit Japan, "THE NAIL THAT STICKS OUT GETS BANGED DOWN." Demonstrating your abilities too much is sometimes regarded as destroying the harmony in my country."

It seems that you dislike individuals doing things that may draw unwanted attention to them.

That American who held the train doors open-- I guess thought he was being helpful.

I have never been to america-- so do not know if that would be a common occurrence.

I have seen films where Passengers on crowded trains inJapan are pushed in by special Guards-- that must be awful really-- I know that I would panic if I was forced backwards into the crowded train.

When you mention the nail that is banged down means that nobody is supposed to do anything that will draw attention to them.

Visitors from other countries--will surely try to co-operate if they understand the Rules and regulations of your country.

I asked you about the group where one girl would suggest they go to a certain film-- and the rest would agree rather than cause disharmony. so therefore== aothough some of them may not actually want to go to that film, they will just agree and go with the others.

Personally I find that hard, surely a discussion should take place so that others can give their opinions.

I would not want to be forced to go somewhere that I did not wish to go to-- just because one person in a group makes the suggestion.

Harmony at any cost. Mm. That is not democratic really.

It s a case of always doing as one is told--individuality being strongly discouraged.

No doubt visitors will try to behave well. it should take some real adjustment for those who go to japan-- needing to respect the Japanese way of life.