(#86 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-24-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I think I've mentioned this before in another thread that talked about Japanese TV, but I'll repeat it again. Japanese TV is over-compressed. There's no quiet and loud sections, it's all at one constant volume. I know I'm probably hyper sensitive when it comes to that kind of thing, but having absolutely no dynamics to speak of is a very annoying noise.
I have noticed that sound quality has improved quite drastically as they move toward eliminating analog. (And have been putting better speakers into televisions to take advantage of high quality audio.)

Analog was the flattest, poorest sounding mono audio. Mono digital was not all that much better. But now there is even surround on some programs, and stereo on many more. But, as we`re not big television watchers (and certainly don`t watch any of the variety programs on...), my viewing spectrum is very limited. We also do NOT use the speakers built into the television, which makes an incredible difference. If you are, then look into using something else - even a cheap 10000yen surround speaker set will change things significantly. (Unless you watch variety and comedy shows. Nothing can help there.) I think the audio adjustment on the televisions themselves are more than half the problem.

After a recent encounter with US broadcast television, I found myself debating which is worse. Constant volume, or commercials that are three times the volume of the programming. (Which left me leaping for the mute button before being blasted by advertisements that hurt my ears.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.