View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2011, 09:17 PM

There is something about this story that just doesn't seem right.

I gotta say I was NOT aware of its dark dark history until we arrived at the town of Kawaguchiko. We had read that theres great natural beauty by Mt Fuji so we went with a camera and some hiking stuff.

What threw me off first is, you don't say WHEN you and your girlfriend supposedly took this trip. Usually with a factual story one would start with "Last week..." or "Last summer..." naturally to help give it context. Here it sounds more like "Once upon a time..."

The towns people we met at the local inn told us all about what happens in the Jukai....

This is another line that sounds more appropriate out of a fairy tale than out of a factual story. What "inn" were you hanging out at, and why were there townspeople hanging out there? Saying "towns people" is so unspecific. If you had said "The owner of the inn we stayed at told us..." but the non-specific "towns people" sounds vague for a story that us supposed to be true. How many of them were there? Were you all sitting in the same room? What was the situation that got this group of people to tell you this story?

one of the workers even thought we were going in there to commit suicide! OMG she thought we had like a forbidden love thing going on and our parents wouldnt accept our relationship (I am surprised that this still goes on in this day and age).

How did the topic of you committing suicide come up? This is not a topic most would bring up, and since you supposedly went there without knowing anything about the area, you obviously didn't bring it up. The forbidden love aspect also seems suspicious to me. Considering you are mixed race, why would your parents be against you race-mixing (to be blunt)?

anyway I was looking for a thrill and wanted to hike so we went into Aokigahara the day after....and boy oh boy.....it was the CREEPIEST place ever. I didn't actually expect to find anything....we went pretty far into the forest taking pictures of the awesome wildlife there. However, we reached a place with rock formations and found a lot of disturbing things....ripped up pictures of familes, something that looked like a suicide note nailed to a tree and clothes. There was rope lying around and lots of yellow tape.

Here we get to the pictures. You don't include any pictures of wildlife, much less yellow tape, ripped up pictures, (how do you know they were picture of families if they were ripped up?) etc. You say that is out of respect... but you also don't include a picture even of you or your girlfriend. Didn't you take any pictures in front of the inn, or of your girlfriend in the forest, the rock formations?

At this point my girlfriend felt very uncomfortable and wanted to leave so we backtracked....and thats when I stumbled on some bones. I freaked out, it was still wearing decaying jeans and Nikes. I f***ing started running.

You said "I", not "we". I wonder how happy your girlfriend was when you start running away from some old clothes.

The more we ran the more the forest seemed to envelop us....I started freaking out some more thinking paranoid thoughts about how we might die in the forst. we ran around desperately I started to see things. No straight up ghostly apparitions....but a few times I could have sworn I saw somebody standing next to a tree but when I looked back there was nothing. That freaked me out somemore and in turn my girlfriend got really really really scared and looked like a crazy person (eyes wide, darting left and right).

She shrieked and scared the living hell outta me. I turned around and saw something orange moving thru the trees and brush.....my blood froze and all the hair on my body stood up. I was like, F**K THIS! and started to back up when I saw a figure emerge from the brush. It looked like a Buddhist monk in robes and I was just speechless.

This reads more like a script from "Blair Witch Project".

I just stood there...my girlfriend went running the other direction crying ... she left me there...but I realized that it was an actual human being and not a ghost. He came shuffling along and spoke in very deliberate Japanese, "Nani ni shi ni kita no?" (why are you here) . I said, "asobi ni, oretachi wa america kara kimashita, gomen na sai gomen!" (To play, we're from American im sorry!). I dont know why I was apologizing but I did. The man looked me over carefully and asked, "ja anata to ano gaijin wa shinu tsumori wa nainn da ne?" (so you and that foreigner have no intention of dying then?)

I really don't see a Buddhist monk using that sort of language, especially referring to your girlfriend as "ano gaijin". If the line you said to him is really what you said, then he would know you are a "gaijin" as well, but chances are that isn't a word a monk would use, regardless.

At a time like that I noticed that he still viewed my girlfriend as a foreigner and not me, even though I'm American....

Trust me, if this story is true, he saw you as a foreigner. This is partially why it is suspect to me.

goes to show that Japanese people are indeed somewhat xenophobic....anyway.... i said no no no we're here to hike and take pictures. He told me to NOT take pictures and pointed me in the direction to an exit.

I don't need to repeat what Nyororin said about xenophobia, but if you were in this area, then you were off limits and out of bounds. There are no "exits".

I said thanks really fast and ran off mind racing and adrenaline pumping. I wanted to get the fk out of there. I called out my girlfriends name a few times and she came running back from somewhere nearby luckily

Yes, that is lucky. Where was she, where did she go, and why were you talking to a monk when your girlfriend was screaming and running away crying?

....but she was pretty sure the man in the robes was a ghost and she was bawling cus she was so scared. The monk gave me good directions because we emerged by a parking lot where there were people.

A mountain rangers came running towards us looking all serious. He pulled out a phone and called somebody. He said, 'daijoubu da, mo daijoubu da, antara atama tsukatte tadashii koto oh shita" (its gonna be alright, you used your head and did the right thing).

So there was a search party looking for you?

Apprently he saw how scared we looked and my girlfriend was still crying, he thought we tried to commit suicide but decided against it at the last moment and came back out. I explained the best I could that thats not what we were doing...I told him about all the stuff we found and the monk. Some of the other people were gathering around us whispering , ' oh poor things! must be forbidden love! so sad!"

Again, why would two foreigners dating be considered "forbidden love"? This is another reason something about this story smells funny. Who were these people? Why were they in the parking lot?

But i told them we wernt there to die, we looked the way we did because we were scared and running. They were like "OMG YOU SAW YUREI!?!?! AND YOU TALKED TO IT!?!?!?? GO TO THE NEAREST TEMPLE NOW!" Others said they heard rumors of a Buddist Monk who lives in the forest who tries to prevent suicides and to pray for the dead....apparently thats who I encountered. What is not known is if he was real or a yurei. Either way, real or not he did help so I wasnt very disturbed by it but we went to a Jinja anyway and talked to a priest.

Who are these "others"? How many people are we talking about? This reads like a fairy tale.

Where was the jinja, and what did the priest say?

You then include more pictures to accentuate your story, but don't state that these are not your pictures, but you found them on the Internet. If no one had said anything, would you have volunteered that information?