View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgist View Post
Hello everybody.I'm writing a novel with japanese characters and i'm stuck in a place. I want to ask that how to use -er words in Japanese? e.g. chaser, runner cutter etc. I used google translate to translate CHASE which gave Tsuiseki but when I entered CHASER is gave cheisa and runna for RUNNER and teima for timer. Pls help ASAP and please also tell me the use of 'no' in japanese
e.g. time means jikan and chase means tsuseki but time chase gives jikan no tsuiseki... what is this no?
please tell me how to say chaser in japanese but i want it in roman please i can't read Kanji etc....
To translate we need context. What kind of chaser and runner? Police-style? Race-style? Hunting-style?

There are a billion different uses of "no." The one in your case is linking two nouns together—you can't always just squeeze two together in Japanese and have it be grammatical. In your "jikan no tsuiseki,"
jikan = time
tsuiseki = chase/pursuit
no = noun linker

Together, you basically have "the pursuit of time."

I honestly can't tell you if it even makes sense in Japanese, though. It's such a weird concept that I daren't help further.