View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

06-21-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Do you mean 「赤いもの」 instead of 「真っ赤な嘘」? It could be.

In the line 「可愛い人なら捨てる程居るなんて云うくせにどうして 未だに君の横には誰一人居ないのかな」, the liar is clearly the guy. If your interpretation of 「短い嘘を繋げ赤いものに替えて阻害されゆく本音を伏 せた」 is correct, then it is the girl that is the liar in it, right? That means they both lied a lot, which seems to be a possibility. I am seriously geting confused. I feel as if I were reading a new story everytime I read the lyrics.
Yes, I meant 「赤いもの」. The way I see it, all the little lies strung together were made by Shiina. Then the guy responded to Shiina's lies with his own big lie, which was 「可愛い人なら捨てる程居るなんて云うくせにどうして 未だに君の横には誰一人居ないのかな」. They both lie to each other, that's why words aren't very useful between them. That relates to the part that says 「足らない言葉よりも近い距離を好み」.

How does that sound? I'm still not sure on what 近い距離 means though. I'm pretty sure it means a physical closeness. Does it mean that she was already in the city and wanted to go back to her hometown to make him understand?

Quote:
Interesting and reassuring because this was what I thought 赤いもの meant on my first reading. On my second and third, however, I formed my "rage" thoery. I think I was trying to read too deep into it and kind of lost my animal instincts as a Japanese-speaker in the process. Now, I am leaning back toward my first impression.

There are not 9 possibilities. Believe it or not, there are only two or three, max. We only need to look for the subjects for the 3 verbs (好む・理解する・思う). The objects are either already present or unnecessary.

好み is in the connective form, which is the same as 好んで. What this means is that the subject for both 好む and 理解する is the same person --- "you". "I" or "we". The subject for 思う is clearly "I". It cannot be anyone else unless Shiina is trying to destroy the entire Japanese grammar.

So, that someone appears to know what he is talking about.

Excellent knowledge, I must admit. I disagree on a point, though.

I myself still cannot give up on the idea that the subject would be "you" for the verbs 好む and 理解する. Fact is she left. How much comfort could she have felt in the fact that the two lived in the same town?
So is this what you have in mind for the subjects?
1. 思う - Shiina (I)
2 .理解する - boyfriend (you)
3 .好む - boyfriend (you)
「足らない言葉よりも近い距離を好み 理解出来ていた様に思うが」
"You preferred closeness over words that fail. I thought that could understand but"

It sounds like you are assuming that this line is from the point of view of when Shiina has already left and her boyfriend wants her to come back. Am I right?

From other parts of the song though, like how she complains about how the city doesn't have things like Muromi river, it sounds like Shiina came back because she wanted to. The whole song is about how she realized that she was wrong and wants to come back, but in the end can't make it work out.

I can see how you'd think that it's her boyfriend that wants her to come back because the previous line talks about how she just left. But is it also possible that even though this line comes right after, some time has passed and it's already talking about how she wants to come back?

Could 「足らない言葉よりも近い距離を好み 理解出来ていた様に思うが」 be from Shiina's point of view before she left?
"We preferred closeness over words that fail. I thought we understood each other but"

If it's told from the point of view after she left, then I thought about,
"I preferred closeness over words that fail. I thought I could make you understand me but"

In other words she knows she can't convince him to see things her way over the phone, so she has to physically go back to see him. But this can't be right, because the subjects for like and understand don't match, right? I'm also not sure if 理解出来ていた can be translated to "could understand" or if it's just "understood."

Last edited by languagehacker : 06-22-2011 at 12:46 AM.