View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
p47koji (Offline)
New to JF

06-23-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollybean72 View Post
Hi, when you said 'bullying' in school, what sort of bullying? Is it something related to race(afterall, they are of mixed race) or is it because my kids will be new students in class and newcomers get tease?Or the fact that they might have Japanese language issues such as not being able to speak the language well enough? Or all these reasons? Thanks!
Its just my opinion - some of it from raising four kids on my own, too... but its as Steven above mentioned. Bullying was relatively unheard of when I went to school there back in 1973 but things have changed. Graffiti has now become a social plague, for example, depending on where you live there.

When any child attends a new school, he/she will be noticed. In your case, they will be noticed more as foreigners. But just like any new kid in school, there will be a number that will befriend them; others may see them as a challenge to their "territory" and will end up forcing their way upon them. A perceived language barrier may exacerbate the problem.

Be attentive as a mom is all I can suggest and see how they perceive their new surroundings and act upon it accordingly.