View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHammerly View Post
Hahaha I'd imagine so. We all like to think we have more self control than we actually do. I will try my best though. (and I'll probably add a few hundred more to my total amount as well. Lol Just in case.)

Hmm, the train system has been my biggest worry. Since I have a car here in America I've never had to use public transportation of any kind.. I'm hoping that being able to speak/read the language will help to make the entire process smoother?

As for the money involved, would a fare pass be feasible? Since I will only be there for 7 days.. Do they make 7 day passes?
I think there are only one day passes, but don't quote me on that.... The announcements on the major lines are in both languages. It's not that hard, actually. It may appear daunting, but there are many English signs and it's not that difficult to navigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Have the prices dropped? I was used to 35,000 for round trip between Osaka and Tokyo. That's about $400.
Yeah, a one way reserve ticket from Kyoto to Tokyo is about 13000 yen.... Come to think of it Justin, are you leaving out of Narita or Haneda? Or are you going back to KIX for your flight home? It's 7960 yen for a one-way non reserved but double that and if you want a reserve seat (not totally necessary) and you're headed back to Osaka, and you're coming close to a 28,300 yen 7-day pass. And with that, you can use ANY JR train, even in Tokyo (except the Nozomi service on the Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen-fastest service). If you're going to go to other place outside Tokyo, and you want reserve seats, I'd think about the pass, but you have to buy it in the US before you leave.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 06-23-2011 at 10:54 PM.