View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2011, 01:23 AM

Dogsbody, this might not be a direct answer to your question, but I just wanted to share a bit of my experience with Japanese mail with you.

Sending Japanese mail (on phones of course) is WAY faster for me than sending mail in English. For starters, English words tend to be comprised of more characters than Japanese words. Not only that, but you have to insert spaces into English sentences. PITA if you ask me. Every time I get mail in English that I know I have to return in English I dread it because I know it would take me a fraction of the time to send it in Japanese. In fact, if it's a subject that requires a bit of elaborating on, then I'll type it up on a computer and send it to my phone, and then send that on its way.

There is a dark side to Japanese mail though-- some people (girls) can be really picky about the crap. Like if my wife sends mail to her friends and doesn't include enough "moving" smilies that are "current" then she'll hear about it later. That's, of course, just one small insight, but there are many forms of etiquette for using mail on phones in Japan. There are also many ways to "abbreviate" depending on the situation(in fact, smilies can be used to help abbreviate).

Please keep in mind though, this is coming from someone who wasn't all that familiar with using cell phones when he lived in America.