View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Work in Japan through a company in the UK - 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM

I just tried to call the embassy of Japan in London about this, and they have to be the most useless people I have spoken to for quite some time.

At the very end of August I am planning to go to Japan to get married and apply for a spouse visa.
Originally I was planning to get an English teaching job over there after getting the spouse visa because I was under the impression I would have to leave my current company in the UK.

Well, I no longer have to do this (or at least, I don't have to get a teaching job straight away)
My boss has said that he wants to keep me on a rolling 3 month contract, which is great, but it brings up a few important questions for me.

First of all, I will not actually be a part of my current company anymore, but I will be hired by them as a contractor on a 3 month rolling contract, so I will have to invoice them for work done which would be paid into a UK bank account.
Since I am from the UK it means that I don't have to apply for any visa to enter Japan - They just stamp the passport with something that says I can stay for 90 days.
My first question is, will I be allowed to continue my work for the company in the UK even while I only have this 90 day visitor stamp in my passport?

I will be working for a company based in the UK, and all of the money will be earned through the UK, not Japan.
So should I be allowed to do the work, or not?
I tried checking the embassy of Japan in London's website, and it says that on this 90 day stamp temporary business is allowed, but I'm not sure whether this actually applies to my situation or not.
For your information I write the code for web application so all of my work is internet based.

(The reason the embassy in London is useless is because their answer to this was "Who knows..." )

My second question is, assuming I am allowed to work for the UK company while I am in Japan on my 90 visitor stamp who do I pay tax to?
I assume that if I was allowed to work, I would initially pay tax to the UK, because I am not actually living in Japan yet.
But when I get a spouse visa, do I then switch to paying taxes to Japan?
It may sound like a stupid question but this stuff is confusing me...

Any help is appreciated - If anyone can actually give me any help with this stuff

Last edited by yuriyuri : 06-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.