View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
TrubyLiz (Offline)
New to JF

06-28-2011, 11:45 AM

I think it's certainly possible to learn two languages at once, its just very difficult. You can't really immerse yourself in either language because then you risk loosing bits of the other. If you practice plenty, it should be possible.

I'm learning German and Japanese at uni and I haven't got mixed up when trying to speak either. Then again, I've only finished my first year of Japanese, so I'm still at a beginner's level for that. (My German is... I'm not sure what level I'm at, actually. Good enough that if I was dumped in a German-speaking country I could probably get by, but not fluent yet >.< )

A little trick I would recommend is using the second language as a "springboard" for learning the third. So getting Japanese-German dictionaries, finding websites that sub videos in either language, stuff like that. It gives you the chance to immerse yourself in one language whilst also doing plenty of stuff with the other. I was going to move to Germany to study Japanese but that idea fell through in the end. :/

A month, though, is not nearly enough to learn a language. I've been studying German for 7 years now, I'm still not fluent. (That said, I've been learning it in an educational setting with plenty of other subjects too, I hardly heard it every day) It takes approximately a year to learn a language to fluency when you're actually in a country that speaks it, and that's only if you actively go out and "immerse" yourself.

Also, did anyone else notice the original post on this thread is from 2008? :P