View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2011, 01:37 PM

We actually had a controversy in the UK recently over airing a death on television. The BBC were doing a documentary on euthanasia, I believe, and showed the moment of a man's death as he chose to die. It was all in good taste, I'm told, but there was a large debate about whether it should have been allowed or not. There was another recent controversy about publicising photos of Princess Diana's death, and the more famous one of Bin Laden's body . . .

I guess it seems to me that in the UK, and to an extent the US, that there appears to be certain circumstances or scenarios when it's "acceptable" to show death or a body, but only when justifiable reasons present themselves. I think more so in the UK, but I'm not American, so I can't really say too much about the American way of things.

I can say though that, no matter how graphic or morbid our press can get in its photography and images, I have yet to see anything with blood or gore or 'distressing' shown before the watershed, and even then it's extremely rare that the footage is of real-life and only when there's a 'justifiable' context, such as a documentary.