View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-29-2011, 01:01 AM

I have to be honest with you Kyle... when I first learned about transitive/intransitive verbs, I was in a high school Japanese class. Ironic as it may seem, most people in the class (including myself) had never heard of it before... so the whole concept required a long-winded explanation from the teacher.

While I'm sure you can come up with a bunch of examples of transitive/intransitive verbs that are different from each other in English offhand, but they don't really match up well with their Japanese counterparts. Not only that, I think that English's "intransitive" sounds a bit like Japanese's "passive". It may just be me... but I think these concepts require a whole lot of time to understand. That kind of time might be better spent just exposing yourself to the language.

I know I'm confusing things, but that's kind of my point. I'm sure some people benefit from all that kind of explanation, but when it comes to everyday "quick-draw" conversation, you often don't have time to think about that stuff, so you just have to say what sounds right in that situation...