View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingmd View Post
I am starting up an IT consultancy based in England and will be doing business mainly in the UK but also the rest of Europe.

It's very difficult to pick a suitable name for a company and I needed to pick one that was available to register with Companies House and also with the .com domain name available.

I did some research and consulted with a few people and settled on "Sessou Ltd." as the word Sessou apparently meant "integrity" in Japanese.

However...2 sources have now replied very late to tell me that the word Sessou is normally used in a negative way and often to mean "infidelity". I had different information online and also through a couple of people that got back to me in time.

I'm now concerned that I have a company called Sessou Ltd. (Limited) and the name will cause me problems.

To clarify, I am not expecting to do business with Japan any time soon (although this may happen in future) and I am not selling any Japanese software or focussing on the Japanese market in any way, it's just a name.

I used the following sources (among others):
EUdict | sessou | Japanese-English dictionary
sessou Free Dictionary Translation Online English Translator
Japanese Symbol for Integrity
The word Honor And Integrity in Chinese Characters and Japanese Kanji Symbols / Letters / Words / Glyphs

Can some people advise? I will need to change the company name asap if it needs to be done and this will cause some problems.

Thanks,
Mark.
"Sessou" to me, who is a Japanese-speaker, would be the funniest company name one could think of unless you sold chastity belts or something. Even if you did, it would still be a funny and weird name. Wonder who those people are that recommended it.

But then if you are not dealing with Japanese-speakers as you stated, why do would you care? You said it's just a name.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.