View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2011, 06:47 AM

I'm not a city guy, so I guess I had high expectations from what everyone says, and which is why I was probably let down. I'm not saying it's over-rated everywhere, as outside the city limits I was happy. But in Tokyo it's definitely over-rated. Still didn't experience the 'walk you to your destination' some people talk about when I asked directions in the place outside of Tokyo, but I wasn't expecting it anyway so no disappointment there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
Hmmm.....it's rather strange to expect an American-style wide smile from busy japanese salarymen.
The businessmen I could understand, but it was everyone, even the casual men and women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Also one can be suspicious of strangers who approach-- with so much marketing or canvassing on streets, one might want to avoid confronting anyone approaching.
Yeah, this was something else I suspected. My local city has this, but I still stop for them just in case it's a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1208 View Post
Yes! Japanese people are very kind and polite. And I find them hospitable too. Last time when I went to Japan, maybe that was when I was still a teenager, I encountered many japanese people. And they are all friendly. They are cheerful and do follow their tradition. They are all good!
Were the hospitable people you talk about the hotel staff? Because all hotel staff I've encountered all over the world are extremely hospitable. It's their job to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
I think you might be confusing kindness for politeness. Kindness is something that will vary from personality to personality, but politeness is one of the social norms of Japan, and I do not think Japanese politeness is in any way overrated.
No no, it's definitely the kindness as well as the politeness that's paraded around to tourists. But even so, their actions wouldn't be considered 'polite' either. I would consider only doing the next best thing to ignoring and shunning to be a little impolite.