(#75 (permalink))
Old
glowsilver (Offline)
New to JF

07-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harichan92 View Post
Or just not have sex to begin with
I reject the idea that it's impossible to stop teenagers having sex. I was not sexually active as a teenager because I was raised by grandparents who were very clear that if I got pregnant or they found out I'd had sex underage, they would throw me out of the house with no financial support. They also allowed no dating, no makeup until I was 16, no mobile phone until I was 17 and leaving home etc. If I stayed with a friend they would call the friend's parents to make sure that boys hadn't been invited over. At the time I didn't like any of this, but they believed that teenagers were not to be treated as adults and that while I was living with them I was to obey their rules. And it did stop me from having sex or drinking too much/taking drugs, so now I'm grateful for it

My family is from a working-class area where teenage pregnancy is very common, but when I was at school (I'm 24 now) most girls who got pregnant were 16-17. My younger sister is still at school and most of her pregnant classmates are 13-14, in the next generation it will be 11-12 ...