View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post

I've heard the term "dandy" used more than once in recent years, but I guess that depends on your level of education and which topics specifically you are studying. The term arose more than once in my 19th Century French History class, as well as several other European history classes as well. .
Same. I'm british but I've heard it, used it and in fact know several guys who would be described as such. Who actually use the word to describe themselves.

Around here the difference between dandy and metrosexual is that 'metro' part. Metrosexualism is urban male grooming, essentially. Designer cuts and trips to the beautician. It's a little androgynous, a little... herbivorous. Metro's dabble with makeup.

Dandies tend to go more with the old-fashioned ideals of gentlemen's fashion. It's eschewing designer jeans in favour of a waistcoat and trousers. Metros are usually clean shaven or else have a little designer stubble, Dandies are more likely to rock a good moustache and/or sideburns (neatly kept, of course). And Dandies can lurk in the tiny rural villages.