View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SarahChan (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Unless he is over 40... I wouldn`t be that concerned about it. The places where Japanese men tend to be conservative about things are;

The first approach - You were on your first date, so that`s not going to be the case for this.
Expression of affection in public - Was he doing this while walking around on the street?

But, another really huge thing you need to remember. You`re clearly NOT in Japan, and he is an individual. If you doubt him so much, don`t become involved. As for what your friend said - do you really think that even if he had believed that, after leaving Japan he would have noticed that it wasn`t quite the case?

Sex is a pretty normal thing, and there is no real "save it for marriage" culture in Japan. If you are really concerned, ask him. Let him know your worries. Tell him why you`re scared of going further with him. If he cares, he`ll want to prove that he isn`t after you just for sex.
Thanks for this insight. I don't have that much doubt. The relationship is still very new and I'm still getting a feel for his personality, so to speak. I think he's a good guy though so I'm gonna try talking to him about my concerns and see what happens. I have a hard time talking through my feelings and worries though so that's why I didn't just do that in the first place. Thanks for the encouragement.