(#40 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

07-31-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Thank you RealJapmes, for your advice.
Yes, I thought "idioms" include "phrasal verbs".

BTW, I have two questions regarding to your advice.
First, which do you mean by "flashcard"?
the high-tech, IPOD software,
or
the classical tag-shaped sheets of paper which is combined by a metal ring, which we call "単語カード"?

Which do you recommend? or
Which do your students seem to use in Japan?

And the second question is;
are there any difference among, 'verb phrase', 'verbal phrase' and 'phrasal verb'?
Are they identical and interchangeable?
A few of my students use the iPod software, many use the actual 単語カード, I feel the real one is better because it's more difficult to forget about it since you can put it on your desk as a visual reminder.
The important thing is that you regularly review the English you aren't familiar with or have forgotten.
I also recommend that while you are going through the flashcards you write example sentences from your imagination using the words which you couldn't remember immediately.

verb phrase and verbal phrase are the same
Most verbal phrases are also phrasal verbs
This is only a verbal phrase; "My friend is pushing the envelope." (it means going close to the limit)
Phrasal verbs and Verbal Phrases are basically all idiomatic.

I suggested you focus on Phrasal Verbs because in everyday speech we use them much more than idiomatic verbal phrases or simple idioms.
We (native speakers) also tend to speak without idioms and idiomatic verbal phrases when speaking to non-native speakers but we tend to keep the phrasal verbs, sometimes even use them more often.

I want to show one example of why phrasal verbs can be very difficult;
get over with it -> forget about it, continue with life and stop thinking of it
"I want to get over with thinking of my ex-girlfriend, but she was so sexy it's difficult!"
get it over with -> finally do something which is difficult or postponed
"I've been really worried about my JLPT next Sunday but I can't wait to get it over with!"

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.

Last edited by RealJames : 07-31-2011 at 12:39 PM.