(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjama View Post
Then allow me to educate:
Ethics: The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession.

Definition does not have allowances for changing of rules or standards when dealing with a foreign party, as some minority in the local service industry (among others) seems to believe.

Of course for most instances, the problem in question arises from inability to adapt to the situation or to a foreign face, when one has only prepared to perform the bare minimum of one's profession and not one millimeter more, and not actual racism.
You said "of course, foreigners are ignored." I lived in Japan for years, and cannot think of a single occasion where, as a paying customer, I was ignored. If it ever were to happen, I would remedy the situation quickly.

I am not sure what businesses you are frequenting where you are ignored, but I certainly wouldn't darken their door a second time if that was the treatment I got.

I don't think that in 2011, most Japanese have an issue with dealing with a "foreign face" as there are thousands upon thousands of foreigners living in Japan.

I am not discounting your experience, but I am just saying it is not universal.