View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

08-04-2011, 01:49 AM

I never walked the Tokai trail, just the first half day leg from Takao to Sagamiko. But I have done trekking, hand here's a few yens's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfjapanesegirl View Post
1. Is the route well sign-posted?
Yes. But in varying intensity. I suggest at least a map and a compass. GPS system is preferred, cell phone recommended. However, reception might not be all that in the mountains and satellite phone's overdoing it.

Quote:
2. Are there safe and inexpensive places to stay along the way? Camp-sites?
The Tokai trail goes in and out of forests, so there should be plenty of opportunities and rest houses. Google maps, Japan tourist guides, above mentioned link...

Quote:
3. Just how difficult is the trail?
Japanese trekking trails are always in good shape. Most trekking is done by seniors, so sneakers (barring rainy weather) are quite enough. A walking stick advisable for comfort.

Quote:
4. Would it be inadvisable to walk it alone?
Always. Food poisoning and injuries are reality in Japan, too. But there are no wolves, if that's what you're afraid. A deer might hid in the grass and jump up when you're two meters from them, giving you a heart attack (I am never going to get over that one, am I? ). Chances of crime are smaller than in other countries, smaller even on the trekking trails, but no matter how small the probability, it still stings when it hits.