View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Knowing certain parts of kanji often helped me with the reading of a kanji (but 99.9999% of the time not with the meaning—I think there was a single, solitary case where I was able to figure out a kanji's meaning by looking at radical+context, and that may have been in Chinese text, not Japanese) in my prep for learning all joyo kanji. That being said, these parts were rarely radicals; rather, they were the other parts of the kanji!

That being said, the patterns did not become useful until I was far more advanced than you are now. You'll just start noticing, at some point, that a lot of kanji with 票 in it have a reading like ヒョウ. 漂流 (drift) has a ヒョウ, 投票 (vote) has a ヒョウ, 標本 (specimen) has a ヒョウ, etc. On the other hand, none of the kanji (漂票標) are semantically related—one has to do with drifting or floating (but see its radical indicates a relationship with water), another with votes, and another with a symbol or sign.

Another set of examples like this is 苗 (ビョウ), which shows up in 猫恐怖 (I assume that is read びょうきょうふ and not ねこきょうふ, ailurophobia—fear of cats), 描写 (びょうしゃ) (depiction/description) 錨泊 (びょうはく) (anchorage), 苗圃 (seedbed, びょうほ). They all have the same sound, ビョウ, but unrelated meanings (猫描錨苗 meaning, respectively, "cat," "draw," "anchor," and "sapling").

I've found knowing one can help me remember the readings for the others. Or, at the least, it gives me an educated guess to start with.

When I was more intermediate, I spent a few hours a couple of times compiling every kanji in Japanese that has 青 in it with a separate radical to see how many I could learn to understand and pronounce. It basically turned into a waste of time.

It is better to learn kanji in context (which is why I so often recommend people buy the book(s) Kanji in Context and learn that way).

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 08-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.