View Single Post
(#31 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
The firebombing campaign was horrendous, it accounted for more death and destruction that both Nagisaki and Horishima combined. 100,000 were killed in Tokyo in one night. The firestorm was so intense the wind comeing out of the city caused such turbolence that it actually knocked one of the American bombers out of the sky.
You know Ryzorian I never knew about that until my Japanese friend told me-- since then I have been doing alot of research-- Most people I know assume that Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the only places bombed Atomic Bomb, but the way so many cities were firebombed was absolutely appalling. I certainly never knew-- which is why I like to learn more by reading and dvd's that I have etc.

In fact in this country-- apart from those who had been affected by the Pacific war here in UK-- there was hardly anymention about the Pacific war-- we used to celebrate VJ day but I for one did not know what it meant. Until we heard about the atrocities committed on POWS--French/ Australian/ \\dutch/ British and the americans etc.. I never even knew why our troops were involved at all. Many remember the atrocities committed--when I read Surviving the Sword it was appalling.

so many Japanese people did suffer terribly-- so it is a miracle how they recovered.

I like to learn from history. I try to see both sides.

The book I am reading refers mostly to the americans-- but there were the other countries also involved.

It seems the japanese soldiers were often treated terribly by their own commanders.

Amazon.com: Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II (9780393046861): John W. Dower: Books