(#29 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
you do not trust dedicated breeders. Why?
Please read all of what I wrote. I said breeders who made a living off of breeding. There are too many puppy mills out there, and I tend to be concerned that any major breeder that does nothing but breeding may be just a facade for something less pleasant. Anyone can make a stylish page or have a stylish storefront - but be hiding a bunch of sickly dogs in tiny cages.
Small breeders, with only a litter or two every few months, are much more trustworthy and likely to have healthy and well cared for pets to offer - as I am sure you know.

Quote:
anyway-- I have had my say-- I wish that only animals were bred who would end up in good loving homes.
I definitely agree with you on this. I think our opinions on what is a happy life and loving home just differ a bit.

Quote:
I meant to add that here in UK dogs are not allowed in restaurants unless they are guide dogs
They aren`t allowed in here either unless the business is dedicated to having them in (like cafes catering to people walking their dogs with small dog play areas and dog treats on sale) or where the animals are a significant part of the business.

Quote:
just been looking at a pet store and I hated it. Apart from unnatural conditions for those animals-- it leads to impulse buying which is not good at all.
The first link is NOT in Japan. East Asia, but not Japan. I do not know what they are speaking, but it is not Japanese from what I can hear... Not to mention that I do not believe it is even legal in Japan to sell some of those animals, and to sell them on the street like that. I have never seen puppies (or any other animals, to be honest) on display like that and I have been all over the country. No one would buy from someone so sketchy and suspicious looking.

The second shows a bunch of scattered shots of different pets on display - without any explanation other than those filming wondering whether the pets were on sale for pets or food... Which says a lot for their bias, in my opinion. In pet shops here there is usually a front display area with a small pen where a dog or other pet is put on display for an hour or so then cycled out. In most pet shops, the dogs are behind windows - often with a large open air play area that they take turns in.

Pet shops are, well, shops. I doubt any can really offer a natural sort of environment for larger pets.

Impulse buying is VERY hard in Japan as you usually need to take out financing for any larger pet. I don`t think most people just carry about 250,000 yen (US$3250, GBP2010) in their pocket to spend on a whim. Although I have been tempted on occasion when a puppy in a play pen nearly jumped out with joy at seeing my son and kept watching him and whining for us... She was getting a bit big so was on sale for 120,000 too.....

ETA;
To give an idea of how the most common pet shop chain is set up - Here is a picture of the way the storefront area where the pets are on display is designed:

There are individual areas for the puppies to rest, and a large play space where they take turns running around and playing with the other puppies.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 09-01-2011 at 03:59 PM.