View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Hyperdia.com icons question - 09-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Hyperdia.com has been quite useful to plan my itineraries in the past and hopefully so in the future. I do have a question, something I'm not completely sure I understand because of the lack of a legend or description of the icons they use on the site.

Once you type in the two stations you are interested in departing and arriving, one has the option of discriminating what modes of transport you want to use. If you un-click "Private Railway" and you get "No routes found" it must mean that your itinerary must contain private rail lines, your JR Pass will not come into play on a portion of your trip and you must pay for that portion not covered by Japan Rail. I get that, it's fairly straightforward. The part that's unclear to me is how much of the trip is not covered.

After a bit of research, I came to a possible way it's displayed. There is a train icon, either a tram-looking train or a shinkansen, on every distinct portion of the trip. The tram-looking icon can either be light green or light pink in color. From what I gather, the light green one is the JR train and the light pink one is the non-JR line trains. Am I correct in this assumption? Without a legend to explain what the symbols mean, I can only guess what they represent. Of course, the train icon is followed by the rail line name, such as: JR Ryomo Line, etc. But the pink ones only have the name, such as: Tobu Line Section Rapid. Is it these pink ones always the private railways that the JR Pass doesn't cover? It would surely help to calculate how much more one would have to pay to get there.

I do have an additional question about a specific rail line: the LTD. Express Kinugawa. Wikipedia describes this line as a limited express train services in Japan operated jointly by the East Japan Railway Company (JR East) and Tobu Railway. I am unsure what this really means. Is this a train that is operated by JR East but since it runs on private railway lines, one must pay for the fare, or will the JR Pass be sufficient for the fare?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JohnBraden : 09-13-2011 at 10:43 PM.