(#22 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Um How am I cherry picking?
Well, you both are using examples to support your theory based on a few instances in history. He used an example and you used a couple to prove your point. You accused him of 'cherry picking' while you 'cherry picked' a few moments in history to prove your point.

Quote:
I haven't put forward a theory on the way the world works.. just debunking Ryozorians theory using events that don't correspond with it or can you not read?
No need for the insult because I can read just fine. Ryozorian is simply stating how he views the world. It might not be how you view the world and events but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong or right. Would a peaceful movement have worked against the British when America was trying to break free? Would a violent resistance have worked in Egypt? Maybe, maybe not. Though the measures used in each situation were different both met with 'freedom'.

Ironically, the examples you gave kind of prove Ryozorian's point that the masses won't care until a party is named and winning against the tyrannical opponent. I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people in the United States didn't pay much attention to Egypt until the masses identified themselves, their objectives, and started to gain recognition for the possibility of [winning] overthrowing their government.

The only difference I see in your arguments is the way to go about protesting freedom: whether with violence or peaceful demonstration.

Quote:
And I did give facts.. or are you denying that the Indian independence movement, the Egyptian uprising and the US civil rights movement never happened? You can throw in the womans suffrage movement in for good measure too.
Yes, they did indeed happen! They were good points to bring up btw. Peaceful resistance can be much more effective than violence.

Quote:
As for your theory about the last 5000 years. It's just as bogus. I mean for a start what we imagine to be "freedom" is very recent so I'm not sure what sort of point you're trying to make.
It's funny how even in our great 'freedom' a lot of people still complain about being "controlled" by the corporate entities or government or caught in the "rat race". So freedom is a definition wide open and always changing.

My point was that peaceful resistance is relatively new as I see it. Fighting for 'freedom' has been around for 1000s of years and most freedoms were fought for.

Freedom 1000 years ago that villages, cities, etc fought for might not be the same freedom as we view it today but was freedom in that time period.