View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-10-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
Where I come from countries have union agreements, minimum wage laws, etc... people working in restaurants and pubs aren't making awesome money but they can survive just fine.
Tips should be just that, tips, given if the service was particularly good or if you've a particularly large bill (its just dickish to pay for a £96 meal with friends then sit around waiting for your £4 back, even if the service wasn't that great).
When somewhere includes a service charge they're just being knobs, so overly presumptious on your tip. It also really reduces the incentive for the staff to actually provide good service if they're getting their tip anyway.

I've never encountered a bar with a cover charge elsewhere in the world- unless this bar had live music or naked ladies or somesuch.

And...yep. In this occasion I thought it was one of those order at the counter bars. It really was just the bar which had a few seats at it then two little tables .
Tazzy, you are coming across as a little narrow-minded.
Expand your cultural awareness a little. Please.

Japan has no tipping culture. I think tipping is a more bizarre custom than table charges any day of the week.

You say other people are getting "agro" but then call people that employ table charges "knobs". Table charges in Japan have nothing to do with tipping.