Gerald446 (Offline)
New to JF

10-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javen View Post
I agree I can't even tell the difference between brazilians and japanese

care to guess their ethnicities??
Ethnic groups: Japanese 98.5%, Koreans 0.5%, Chinese 0.4%, other 0.6%
Note: up to 230,000 Brazilians of Japanese origin migrated to Japan in the 1990s to work in industries; some have returned to Brazil (2004)
Definition: This entry provides an ordered listing of ethnic groups starting with the largest and normally includes the percent of total population. Source: CIA World Fact book - Unless otherwise noted, information in this page is accurate as of July 12, 2011
There are two major theories of ethnicity in the social sciences today. Those are the primordial perspective and the social mobilization perspective. The primordial perspective emphasizes primordial group ties associated with physical affinity, common language, common religion, and other cultural and historical commonalities as the basis of ethnicity. On the other hand, the social mobilization perspective sees ethnicity as an emergent concept in which ethnic connections are created and re-created in the context of adjustment in the host society
I suggest that ethnicity is the product of social relationships, which are based on common socio-cultural values.
“Ethnicity,” then, is like “society” and “culture” in that the notion is itself dynamic—continuously developing in the context of circumstance and discourse. The boundaries of ethnicity have become blurred and are created through people’s relationships. Ethnic boundaries are being constructed and reconstructed in diverse social environment. By taking a close look at diverse cases of creation and recreation of identities by Japanese transnational migrants, we can gain deeper insights into ethnicity and ethnic identity in the current global context.

I make plans THEN ask My Parents.....
Little Stars Rising Stars : Kids