View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-11-2011, 11:49 PM

In order for the program to break even, each person would have to spend roughly $1470, on average, in country. I'm not sure what the length of stay may be, but that is not an unattainable number.

Considering the situation the country may be in, I don't see this as risky as others may see it. I'm sure there will be plenty of publicity around this and cameras and reporters at the airports as the passengers get off the aircraft, which I'm sure are going to be Japanese carriers so as to keep the funds in country.

I keep seeing on NHK news Japanese National Tourist Organization seminars in many foreign countries welcoming people to visit Japan. The situation doesn't seem desperate, but they are hurting, with a current 37% drop in same-time-last-year visits. At one point it had dropped over 50%.

I'm sure it will be a world-wide event and they can be quite discriminating as to whom to pick. I predict the website will have quite a few questions to answer. And since there will be a large number of people who will reply, I think they can choose a wide range of people. I'll give it a try, but it starts a week after I get back from Japan. I won't be one of those they'll target, since I have no qualms about visiting Japan.

I think it's a good thing they're trying to do. They deserve and need all the help they can get....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 10-11-2011 at 11:51 PM.