View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroix01 View Post
Now that you mentioned this, I have realized that most lines of this song are arranged in absolute balance patterns, like 7-7 syllables for each line of verse 1 & 4, 9-9 for each of verse 3 & 6. The reason for the placement of 空も飛べるよ in line 3 was just to make it synchronize with the music, am I right?
That is correct. In Japanese syllable clusters, 5 and 7 are the key numbers. What one says normally not only tends to sound better but also gets retained longer in others' minds if said with more phrases consisting of 5 and 7 syllables.than others. The best example may be seen in the syllable distributions in Haiku (5-7-5) and Tanka (5-7-5-7-7), but more importantly, the same tendency is seen in our everyday conversations and writings. Poetry and song lyrics are no exceptions.

Quote:
Also, I thought 空も飛べる was a more dramatic & emphatic version of 空を飛べる, but now it's uncertain to me, since I'm thinking that it can be は, not を, plus there's a possibility that it's linked to the phrase 不思議なまでのゼロの空間. Can you help me understand this point?
In the phrase 空も飛べる , it is not the 空 that is the subject for the verb. The subject is the hidden "one" or "you". You are correct in thinking that 空も飛べる is a more dramatic form of 空を飛べる. 空も飛べる is the same thing as 空さえ(も)飛べる.

The reasons that I say 空も飛べるよ belongs with the two preceding lines rather than what follows are:

1. It ends with the sentence-ending particle よ.
2. The next phrase starts with そんな, which would suggest that something has been stated and a new statement is being made by saying そんな = "that kind of ~~ is ~~."

Quote:
Now this is interesting. Would you mind explaining more about this? I just can't figure out how it modifies the verb.
Ah舌を出して笑う 空虚なる支配は
転移を繰り返し 浸食をする
叫ぶような熱さえ 僕はただ逃げ込む

I am reading this part as follows:

Ah舌を出して笑う空虚なる支配は、
転移を繰り返し, 叫ぶような熱さえ浸食をする。
僕はただ逃げ込む。

叫ぶような熱さえ may not "modify" 浸食をする in the English sense of "modify". Yet in Japanese, we do say that first part 修飾する the second part. This 熱 is being "浸食する'ed = eroded"

This may not be a best explanation but I hope you can follow what I am trying to say.

Quote:
Ah, so the が in 愚かなる願いが is "but", not the subject marker, isn't it?
No. It is a subject marker. 背きたい道順&愚かなる願い is the subject.

Quote:
Um, does 常識を離反した modify 拒絶 or カオス?
It modifies カオス. Both 常識を離反した and 拒絶さえ許されない modify カオス.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.