View Single Post
(#38 (permalink))
Old
vikkaboo (Offline)
New to JF

11-19-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojikun View Post
I wonder how many Japanese would admit -if they weren't so polite- that the American system of measure is also extremely inconvenient; 12 inches = 1 foot; 3 feet = 1 yard; 5280 feet = 1 mile.
I agree with everything you said, and I definitely don't believe in ridding Kanji in the Japanese language. The most important reason (in my opinion) is that it's a part of their culture. Kanji has been used in their written language for thousands of years. It's used on ancient pieces of art and documents. I also agree that it does help simplify their written language, and if it works for them, then hey, that's all that matters.

Regarding what you said about the American metric system: I think it does make sense. Which would be easier to envision? A child that is 3 feet tall, or a child that is 36 inches tall? Or I could say, "My house is 5,280 feet from the school." Wouldn't it be easier to say my house is a mile from school? We need inches to define things that are smaller than a foot (obviously).

Anyways- No, do not remove Kanji from the Japanese language. I enjoy learning it; I actually think its fun. If you have a problem with learning that part of the Japanese language, than maybe the language isn't the right one for you to learn.