(#19 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelherz View Post
Ok what exatcly would you call now greentea? I thought Matcha, Sencha and so is greentea?
I understand that this sweet stuff in bottles with green tea taste isn`t really green tea.

And there`s also chinese green tea.
I was taught the chinese classification of teas and I haven't seen any other explanation that is consistent. It is based on how long the plant's leaves are cured. White teas - almost not at all; green teas - cured for less than a year (? not sure about the time frame - its been too long), and then black or red teas are aged anytime over a year. Some plants are better for one type of aging than others and thus have become the best known for that type of tea.

Matcha and Sencha are green teas (or at least I have never seen them as anything else), but I have one brand of Sencha that seems almost in the category of a black tea. I have found Jasmine as both a black tea and green tea, though I prefer it as green.

Not sure what boricha would be classed as, but given that the barley is roasted and the resulting taste, I would consider it a black tea.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.