View Single Post
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-04-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
This is true and it comes from the tradition and concept of 「上座&下座」= upper seat vs. lower seat. You do not take the upper seat unless you are asked to because you are a good, humble person. Same thing at a dinner party or wedding party. More important guests get to sit at the "better" seats, closer to the host (or the car owner).
That makes sense I suppose. I'm going to make sure my friends know it's ok to stay in the front haha.

I've heard that in some cultures, women aren't allowed to sit in the front of a car if a man is driving, or that the front passenger seat is always reserved for partner or spouse of the driver. I was wondering if Japan had similar rules like that which I probably broke as I was unaware of during my stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Nothing as the driver. When you are the passenger, however, do not open the glove compartment or touch the radio, A/C, etc. without the car owner's permission. I say this because I have seen Americans do these things in the cars I used to own and it bothered me a lot. When you invite them to your home, they open your fridge before you say anything and complain: "Haven't you got anything besides Japanese tea?"
It's not very British to do that as a passenger but I've had people complain about the radio etc to make me turn it over. It's my car so listen to my mix CD or walk home. Simple

I can't believe people would walk in your house and go looking through your fridge! That's so unbelieveably rude

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me