View Single Post
(#102 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

04-13-2007, 02:07 AM

I have looked before for information concerning the working holiday visa and have thus far not uncovered any specifics. I would suggest inquiring directly with the Japanese embassy in the U.K. to find out your eligibility to qualify for the visa. I know for a fact that the work visa is your potential employer's biggest concern in regards to education requirements. This is primarily true of working in the public schools as an ALT or eikaiwas that focus on small children. You would probably not be eligible to work in one that teaches business English.

I think that you may only face difficulty when it comes to your age. Some companies may view you as too young to be placed in a public school, but I think an eikaiwa who focuses on small children would love to have you. This doesn't mean don't apply as an ALT because you want to explore every opportunity that is available. I really don't know what response you would receive in response to your age. It would be very interesting to find out and appreciate you filling me in when you get to the interview/application process.

This is what you could write to the embassy in the UK:

To whom it may concern, (Dear whoever if name is available)

My name is (your name), and I am a native of the United Kingdom preparing to begin my university education. I am writing to you concerning the issuance of working holiday visas to citizens of the U.K. I am interested to know if I would qualify for a one year visa to live and work in Japan prior to entering the university. I am very interested in living and working in Japan after finishing my degree and feel that the experience of working there now would encourage and embolden me in studies at the university. Thank you in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

(your name)

I would only write in the event that you can not uncover anything on your own. Also I really don't know that much about doing a gap year, do you apply for your university after the gap year or before? If you apply before your overseas experience, I believe you are technically then a student of that university. In that circumstance the letter I have written above would need a bit of editing and your school's study abroad center may be able to assist you with the visa process.

Be sure to let me know how it goes. In this way when another comes along with the same question, I'll be able to help a little more.