JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

2D vs 3D - What is your opinion on it? - 07-26-2011, 01:42 AM

If you were to design an animation (regardless of style) would you use cell based animation (2D) or computer generated imagery (3D) as the vehicle to tell your story? Or would you use a combination such as in Paprika? Would the 3D be ultra-realistic or Toy Storyish? Why?

Do you find yourself watching more 3D animations now a days or mainly 2D and why?

Also, I personally think Hollywood has effectively killed super heroes, medieval settings, and vampire sagas which are popular in animations. What do you think?

Where do we go from here concerning topics to cover?

I'd be interested in hearing some of your synopsis' you've wanted to see but never have.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-27-2011, 08:04 AM

When it comes to animation, personally, I still like 2D.
I don't know, there is something in 2D that shows how the artist want to portray his/her imagination. That is probably whay I love Miyazaki's work.

I guess I still prefer the old fashioned way of animation

For vampire sagas, I don't like what is happening currently. I love Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, and lately with all this Twilight hype , it just ruined everything. But I guess that is business for you

Superhero movies coming out lately are mostly crap, no justice done to the comic book. I just hope they will not try to make Sandman movie if they can't do justice with it.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nebelherz (Offline)
JF Regular

10-01-2011, 04:07 PM

I think it does also matters, what story I would want to tell. It`s hard to say it so, what I would prefere.
I like both 2D and 3D. And I hope, there will come more 2D movies in cinema again.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2011, 05:38 PM

I haven't seen anything in 3D since the 80s, so the technology may be much more advanced. Yet, I still will not watch it if I have to use glasses.... I'm a 2D guy when it comes to movies and animation....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
When it comes to animation, personally, I still like 2D.
I don't know, there is something in 2D that shows how the artist want to portray his/her imagination. That is probably whay I love Miyazaki's work.

I guess I still prefer the old fashioned way of animation

For vampire sagas, I don't like what is happening currently. I love Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, and lately with all this Twilight hype , it just ruined everything. But I guess that is business for you

Superhero movies coming out lately are mostly crap, no justice done to the comic book. I just hope they will not try to make Sandman movie if they can't do justice with it.
talk about a late reply here! Gese, I suck. I like cell animation too just due to the very limited amount of actual 3D animation movies out there.

On vampires:

I did like Trinity Blood which had a special kind of vampire (I won't ruin it for those who haven't seen it) which was interesting to see. I agree with the business aspect ruining things. You need businesses to invest into creative endeavors and it will always be a point of contention between the artists vs investors but there is definitely an equilibrium that can be reached.

On Super heroes:

The movies seem to be sub-par also due to the mass-produced movies. Plus they pick characters that are just not appealing to ME at least. Iron man? One dimensional character - Rich, famous, good-looking, swinging bachelor, genius scientist invents suit of armor while in cave to save the world from ... terrorists. Talk about hitting every immature guy's grandeur of delusion hot spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I haven't seen anything in 3D since the 80s, so the technology may be much more advanced. Yet, I still will not watch it if I have to use glasses.... I'm a 2D guy when it comes to movies and animation....

lol...I mean 3d animation John.

I'm with you though. No way I am wearing 3d glasses to watch a movie.

I like 2D because it focuses more on story where 3D can rely on the newest technology to push the movie and storyline can almost be an afterthought and still accepted as if it is just one big huge tech demo.

Last edited by OHayou : 10-01-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Formatting Addiction
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHayou View Post
lol...I mean 3d animation John.

I like 2D because it focuses more on story where 3D can rely on the newest technology to push the movie and storyline can almost be an afterthought and still accepted as if it is just one big huge tech demo.
Ooops! Yeah, 2D animation all the way....

Actually, the only thing I saw with 3D glasses since the 80s was a Gran Turismo 5 3D display booth they had in Shinagawa Station last October. I wasn't that impressed....
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHayou View Post
Ah, 3D glasses . . . I find them a nuissance now that I have to wear regular glasses, it's a huge pain trying to wear two sets of glasses at one time

3D though, I think it depends how it's done. I've seen two 3D films recently. Saw 3D I thought was amazing, every thing was so layered and real, it was like being in the film and I liked how things came out of the screen, whereas Harry Potter drove me insane, you hardly noticed the 3D was there and it strained my eyes awfully.

In relation to animation in specific . . . I think 3D has pros and cons, I personally prefer 2D just because I don't think the 3D has been perfected yet, but it all depends what effect the directors are going for. I can imagine something like Toy Story working great in 3D, just because computer graphics lends itself more to that extra dimension, but then old-style cartoons/animes perhaps wouldn't work so well.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-01-2011, 10:26 PM

I like 3D. 4D is more exciting though. You never know when water's gonna be sprayed in your face!