JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
phishn37 (Offline)
Time to fly ~ !

"Nice Boat" Endings ~ ? - 01-27-2008, 09:32 PM

I've been hearing a lot of referenes to something called a "Nice Boat" ending, and have been wondering what that is ~ ! Can someone explain it to me? I know it has something to do with the anime School Days.

You've got to run like an antelope, out of control!

My JapanForum Family!
Imotou : criminalpanda
Oniisan : IonFortuna
Oniisan: Tuhin
Otouto: MarkDuff
Oniisan: Hisuwashi
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2008, 02:02 AM

I'm not exactly sure what "nice boat" reffers to, but I think the story behinde it is something like this:

After an incedent involving a girl killing her father occured the TV station that was airing the show pulled the last episode because it involved plot lines similear to the actual crime. So the TV station filled the half hour with classical music and nice images. When the TV stations representative was asked to make a statement he said something like "Nice Boat" and it kind of became a pop-culture thing.

I'm not really 100% sure about that (it dosent make much sence does it?)

I think it also has somthing to do with the last few seconds of animation being one of the characters floating on about ***SPOILER*** holding her ex-boyfriends severed head

Last edited by ILOVEJAPAN : 01-28-2008 at 02:04 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
km0120 (Offline)
New to JF

Nice boat. - 01-28-2008, 02:23 AM

>I know it has something to do with the anime School Days.

Yes, "Nice boat." is the byword for the anime School Days.

The last episode of "Scool Days" went off the air.
The sensational murder case happened in September, 2007 that a daughter had killed her father in Kyoto, Japan.
Because the content of the episode was that characters were cruelly killed, broadcast stations concerned that viewers might find it imprudent.
They devoted the airtime of "School Days" to that of landscapes in Norway: mountains, castles, fiords.
While Japanese anime fans were very disturbed, a foreign anime fan left a message, "Nice boat." to see a screen capture uploaded.
The cool and brief message made them laugh loudly.
The phrase became popular among them soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg niceboat.JPG (31.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by km0120 : 01-28-2008 at 02:28 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km0120 View Post
>I know it has something to do with the anime School Days.

Yes, "Nice boat." is the byword for the anime School Days.

The last episode of "Scool Days" went off the air.
The sensational murder case happened in September, 2007 that a daughter had killed her father in Kyoto, Japan.
Because the content of the episode was that characters were cruelly killed, broadcast stations concerned that viewers might find it imprudent.
They devoted the airtime of "School Days" to that of landscapes in Norway: mountains, castles, fiords.
While Japanese anime fans were very disturbed, a foreign anime fan left a message, "Nice boat." to see a screen capture uploaded.
The cool and brief message made them laugh loudly.
The phrase became popular among them soon.
Ok, that made the least sence of anything I've heard all day...

Anyway, I did a little more research, and apparntly what actualy happend was that some poster on a messageboard primarily used for posting images, posted the images that they used to replace the time slot for school days. Then somone casualy commented on the messageboard "nice boat."

It's kinda funny, but strange that so many Japanese otaku were reading a foreigne messageboard, and that one strange post could become famous.