JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   How does one avoid being an otaku? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/12283-how-does-one-avoid-being-otaku.html)

kireikoori 02-05-2008 08:01 AM

How does one avoid being an otaku?

I don't think much more description is needed. I'm curious, because otaku is definitely something one doesn't want to be. -_-

It literally means house. But you know the way I'm using it. It's like the Japanese word for geek, except ten times worse I hear.

Is it possible to enjoy anime without being considered an otaku? What's the dividing line between otaku and not?

Amnell 02-05-2008 08:36 AM

I think of it in a tiered structure:

Nerd
....Geek
........Otaku

Where a nerd is a person who has more interest in [subject] than most people who have any interest at all in [subject], a geek is someone who has an "unhealthy" interest in [subject] to the point of ignoring other things (like a social life), and an otaku is someone who takes obsession with [subject] to a new level to the point of being disinterested in anything but [subject].

For example: I am a linguistics nerd. Borderline geek, but it balances out through my keeping my head in my math book. I used to be a military air tech otaku because all I could talk about was F-16 this, F-22 that, latest-radar-guidance-system everything-else, and it occupied a too-large portion of my through process from day to day.

F-22 Raptor pwns all, btw :D . (SEE?!)

Anyway... hope that all made sense. ^_^ v

kireikoori 02-05-2008 09:17 AM

Hmmm...well if the otaku label is that intense...why has it placed on Shokotan?
Shokotan doesn't seem to fit that description.

ILOVEJAPAN 02-05-2008 09:43 PM

I think that if you have other interests besides anime/manga/RPG/dating sims/H-games etc. then you arent otaku.

As for Shokotan, she occupies a lot of her time cossplaying so I guess that makes her otaku...

hentailover92 02-05-2008 10:18 PM

doesn't otaku mean like ure insanly obsessed with something and thats all u talk about like there are military otakus. if ure interested in something just treat it like a small hobby dont like devote ure life to it

devils 02-05-2008 10:24 PM

I think if you are able to take time away from anime, to do other things, than that doesn't make you an otaku. :)

Cyasarin 02-05-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentailover92 (Post 389873)
doesn't otaku mean like ure insanly obsessed with something and thats all u talk about like there are military otakus. if ure interested in something just treat it like a small hobby dont like devote ure life to it

I agree...all you need to do is focus on your life and not what you might obsess about. You could do it by thinking about school and grades or hanging out with friends [especially ones that don't care for whatever you might be obsessing about] or maybe even finding a few more hobbies.

phishn37 02-05-2008 10:53 PM

If you're using otaku how most westerners use it, then being otaku doesn't really mean you're an obsessive introvert who only spends time with anime, manga or games. It's just someone who likes anime a lot ~ ! But in the Japanese sense... yes, otaku can be quite extreme. Just make an effort to get out of the house every once in a while ~ !

I've also found that even in the Japanese context, the negative feel of the word is softening up.

Uriko 02-05-2008 10:58 PM

devils 02-05-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uriko (Post 389923)

LOL
It's the real life Genshiken! :eek: