LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolatejapan View Post
Sounds like somebody who's cranky and tired... Hey, this world needs future Mangaka. I know you weren't trying to be rude or anything, but it kinda sounded like that... All I'm saying is that I admire the person's dedication. I'm determined to become a Mangaka too.
Considering that post you are responding two is from 2008, there is no saying what his/her opinion is now.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

06-20-2011, 12:34 AM

As snappy comebacks go that one was really rather slow....
(#33 (permalink))
Old
potatoxpotato (Offline)
New to JF

06-30-2011, 04:17 AM

Hi, I'm new and sorry for bringing up this old thread BUT...
From what I've heard, I think mangaka can make a lot more money than typing and the rest say. Taking only from what I've read, here is my math:
So, a mangaka makes about $100 a page once published in a magazine. And there are twenty pages per magazine, and let's say the magazine is monthly. That would be $2000 a month and basically a page a day, which is drawing the storyboard, sketching the page, inking it, then scanning it on the computer for computer graphics, which, for me, takes just a few hours. This, truthfully, is not a lot of money.
Then, let's say, you work on 2 other manga to get more pay. I think someone suggested mangakas do multiple mangas at a time a while before. This would make 3 mangas, $2000 x 3 which is $6000, and just 3 pages a day, which, honestly for me is 15 min storyboard, 30 min sketching, 30 min inking and an hour adding computer graphics-- about 2 hours x 3 is 6 or 7 hours of work, about a normal workday right? And $6000 is a lot of money. Being a mangaka doesn't seem to bad, now, does it?
And that's not even if you hit it big. If you become the Miyazaki, the CLAMP, the Ryukishi07 of the world, you'll be, of course, a millionaire. But I'm sure in the beginning it'll be tough so that's why being a mangaka is hard-- pulling through because in the beginning, you won't be popular.
And for those who don't get published and don't even get $2000 a month, you just have to keep trying, like all authors or artists do at first. Never thinking all hope is lost is the way to go to survive in the mangaka business~
This is just all the things I've gathered from my research, I really would like to be a mangaka one day, and I'm sorry but if my calculations are correct, it makes good money if you try hard. And you might say "That's if you make it"-- It's all about not giving up. More often than not, publishers reject you in the beginning. CLAMP got rejected at first too but look now!
(#34 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-30-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoxpotato View Post
From what I've heard, I think mangaka can make a lot more money than typing and the rest say. Taking only from what I've read, here is my math:
So, a mangaka makes about $100 a page once published in a magazine. And there are twenty pages per magazine, and let's say the magazine is monthly. That would be $2000 a month and basically a page a day, which is drawing the storyboard, sketching the page, inking it, then scanning it on the computer for computer graphics, which, for me, takes just a few hours. This, truthfully, is not a lot of money.
OK, let's look at this together. I am not sure what your sources are, but let's assume your numbers are correct. A monthly will have 18-20 pages per monthly chapter, so that is 1800 to 2000 dollars a month.

Quote:
Then, let's say, you work on 2 other manga to get more pay. I think someone suggested mangakas do multiple mangas at a time a while before. This would make 3 mangas, $2000 x 3 which is $6000, and just 3 pages a day, which, honestly for me is 15 min storyboard, 30 min sketching, 30 min inking and an hour adding computer graphics-- about 2 hours x 3 is 6 or 7 hours of work, about a normal workday right? And $6000 is a lot of money. Being a mangaka doesn't seem to bad, now, does it?
Here is where your math goes off the rails a little. You are making two assumptions: 1) There is no assistant staff and 2) Mangaka draw manga at the same rate you say you can draw manga.

From what I know, this is not the case. Mangaka that produce multiple pages a day tend to be forced to use a support staff for lettering and inking. That, of course, costs money. I would be curious if you could make the same quality artwork and story working only 2hours and 45minutes per page.

Quote:
And that's not even if you hit it big. If you become the Miyazaki, the CLAMP, the Ryukishi07 of the world, you'll be, of course, a millionaire. But I'm sure in the beginning it'll be tough so that's why being a mangaka is hard-- pulling through because in the beginning, you won't be popular.
And for those who don't get published and don't even get $2000 a month, you just have to keep trying, like all authors or artists do at first. Never thinking all hope is lost is the way to go to survive in the mangaka business~
This is just all the things I've gathered from my research, I really would like to be a mangaka one day, and I'm sorry but if my calculations are correct, it makes good money if you try hard. And you might say "That's if you make it"-- It's all about not giving up. More often than not, publishers reject you in the beginning. CLAMP got rejected at first too but look now!
The % of successful mangaka to aspiring mangaka is probably about the same as successful musicians to aspiring musicians.... maybe 1%.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-30-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I have to add to what MMM said in reply to this, as I almost laughed out loud. I *do* know someone personally who is a published mangaka (actually successful at that - she got an anime deal.)

It is nothing even close to how easy you put it.

First - the major publishers (the ones that actually pay) do not accept any CG work unless it is for colored pages. They require all the work to be submitted on specific types of paper, hand drawn, using ink and tone.
Right here, this changes the entire equation.
You simply cannot finish a page on paper in the same amount of time as with using CG.

Second - There is another huge step in there that you are missing. Taking a rough copy to the editor. You need to have a rough copy (but drawn well) of the next section quite early. There are 2 to 3 meetings with the editor to check the work, iron out plot points, get advice on certain areas, etc. No one just draws what they want and turns it in.

Third - Related to both the first and second sections of this, if you`re at all successful (as in being published), you will need an assistant and you will need quite a chunk of money for supplies. Remember - no CG work, and an editor-linked system that may give you only 2 or 3 days to produce a full segment. (Happens all the time - an upper editor didn`t think that some plot point was good - rewrite the whole thing and turn it in within 3 days.)

Fourth - running multiple manga at once is laughably unthinkable at this point in time. First, because magazines simply don`t accept multiple runs from a single artist as one always suffers. Occasionally they will accept a one off that you might have finished over months in the background... Or accept something you helped with (such as a work by an assistant)... But running more than one as a single artist? I`d forget it.

Oh, and there is another huge thing I forgot.

Magazines are weekly in Japan. There are a few monthly, but the page numbers are completely different. Think instead of 18~20 page, 60~80 pages per segment.

So let us go back to your equation.

As an average mangaka, you will likely make around $500~800 per weekly segment depending on the magazine and how popular you are. As you can`t use CG as a tool, and you need to pump out 18~20 pages a week, you will need to spend money on supplies and an assistant. Publishing type forms are generally about $10 for a pack of 5 sheets, so think $2 cost to you per page. Tone is also pretty painfully expensive at $1~10 a sheet (depends on design).
You will go through publishing sheets like there is no tomorrow as you need to present a working draft to your editor half way through the week.
So, let`s say $50~100 a week on supplies.
Then there is your assistant. I can`t imagine someone managing all the work of 20 pages in 3 or 4 days alone and not burning out. Let`s say they are paid $200 a week to come in about 4 to 6 hours a day and help with the working draft and final draft.

If you`re on the low end of the scale, that`s almost half your pay gone to just to make the manga. All the other costs of living still remain.

Sure, if you make it big you can make a ton of money. But even the regular published mangaka do NOT make all that much.

When my friend`s manga was made into an anime (single season) - her huge bonus went into buying a condo for her and her mother. And... That was it. No life of glamour. The middlemen take most of everything. She was laughing that after the anime, she only made about $500 more a month from sales of tankobon... But had to travel so much that it was a complete minus.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2011, 08:32 AM

to potatoxpotato
Chin nakamura is debt-ridden details of the post 10 million yen.
[経理] - 仕事とか漫画とかの話.
*JPN site

Example by Shuho Sato
http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/4097455/
*JPN site

Quote:
The % of successful mangaka to aspiring mangaka is probably about the same as successful musicians to aspiring musicians.... maybe 1%.
Noooooooo 0.01%
There is a lot of comicartist that is killed in action.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#37 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
And here is a prime example of a delusional weeaboo. Just take your artist's test that you can get for free when you call that 800 number and get started on your new career TODAY!!!

Last edited by RickOShay : 06-30-2011 at 09:08 AM.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
potatoxpotato (Offline)
New to JF

07-03-2011, 06:19 PM

If we're going to be rude, we should at least leave no room for a comeback.
At the "weeaboo" thing, I'm surprised you're even talking considering you're on a Japan Forum. And, it's weaboo*.
Now, onto this Nyorin-person . I looked through, and couldn't help chuckling on how hard you tried to sound better than me, and rude. Let me clear up a few things, shall I? Firstly, did I say CG? I meant Tones. Caught me there. Now you know what I'm talking about, correct? Second; That's just obvious. You can't draw whatever you want. It's business. That doesn't change anything. Thirdly: You act like it's the end of the world if I don't have an assistant and supplies are IMPOSSIBLE. Look, I don't need an assistant slowing me down. In the beginning, I'm doing a lot of it by myself, which isn't easy, but I hope you don't honestly believe I would sit there all day and relax and money would come flying into my lap the next day. If you seriously believe that working hard is impossible, you need a job ^-^ Also, a huge "chunk of money"? I can get "special" A4 paper, copic ink pens, some coloring utensils and tone and typing sheets for under $100. My friend who's also wanting to be a mangaka has a tablet and Sai. You're just dramatizing it now. Goodness, you make me laugh.
Moving on, this is where you start assuming things. Considering I just proved all the nonsense you insisted on above, the job is tough but still pays well. When I say "multiple mangas" you assume in the same magazine. Different magazines, kid. And then you assume I'm perfect in Japanese and I'm going to publish my amazing works across the world! That's just a dream, my friend. Ever heard of OEL manga? Yup, and where you said all Japanese magazines are weekly is not only bogus but also totally irrelevant at this point. Because I'll be publishing in a monthly English magazine. Umad, bro?
Since I just corrected you, you might snap back. But, I don't really care, you're too rude to listen to, have fun being wrong.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Someone please delete this post, I was unable to find the 'delete button', I will keep trying to find how to delete it anyway.

Last edited by Nameless : 07-03-2011 at 07:40 PM.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-03-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
If we're going to be rude, we should at least leave no room for a comeback.
At the "weeaboo" thing, I'm surprised you're even talking considering you're on a Japan Forum. And, it's weaboo*.
Now, onto this Nyorin-person . I looked through, and couldn't help chuckling on how hard you tried to sound better than me, and rude. Let me clear up a few things, shall I? Firstly, did I say CG? I meant Tones. Caught me there. Now you know what I'm talking about, correct? Second; That's just obvious. You can't draw whatever you want. It's business. That doesn't change anything. Thirdly: You act like it's the end of the world if I don't have an assistant and supplies are IMPOSSIBLE. Look, I don't need an assistant slowing me down. In the beginning, I'm doing a lot of it by myself, which isn't easy, but I hope you don't honestly believe I would sit there all day and relax and money would come flying into my lap the next day. If you seriously believe that working hard is impossible, you need a job ^-^ Also, a huge "chunk of money"? I can get "special" A4 paper, copic ink pens, some coloring utensils and tone and typing sheets for under $100. My friend who's also wanting to be a mangaka has a tablet and Sai. You're just dramatizing it now. Goodness, you make me laugh.
Moving on, this is where you start assuming things. Considering I just proved all the nonsense you insisted on above, the job is tough but still pays well. When I say "multiple mangas" you assume in the same magazine. Different magazines, kid. And then you assume I'm perfect in Japanese and I'm going to publish my amazing works across the world! That's just a dream, my friend. Ever heard of OEL manga? Yup, and where you said all Japanese magazines are weekly is not only bogus but also totally irrelevant at this point. Because I'll be publishing in a monthly English magazine. Umad, bro?
Since I just corrected you, you might snap back. But, I don't really care, you're too rude to listen to, have fun being wrong.
People here are not rude, they are just likely tired of hearing the same ideas of greatness behind something that doesn't have it.

Being a mangaka isn't a very good job, unless and only unless you really have a successful manga " a la" shounen jump.

Most popular mangas follow the same exact pattern, they just add a few more ingredients and poof THE BEST MANGA EVER.

Want some examples? Well let see, Dragon Ball z, Bleach, Naruto, Gantz, One Piece.

Yeah sure you can argue "But x has y and w doesn't" but if you look carefully, they all have the same elements.

This is even more obvious in genres such as ecchi.