JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shiningmonkey (Offline)
Inventor of the s'moredog

Mangaka Salary - 02-22-2008, 05:58 PM

I am an aspiring manga artist and I was wondering what kind of salary a mangaka makes. Does anyone know? Thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chibiloli93 (Offline)
Zero Luver!

02-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiningmonkey View Post
I am an aspiring manga artist and I was wondering what kind of salary a mangaka makes. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Um...i got this off a website... im guessing it goes dis way:
1. Manga-ka doesn't get paid salary. They get paid for whatever they sold.

Every place plays favorites -____-

http://xxbullet-proofxx.deviantart.com/
(#3 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

02-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Not much.

The average Manga Ka looks at roughly 8-10 hour days, sometimes more, sometimes less. Generally they have a 20-40 page submission to fulfill every month so you're looking at one compleated page every day, not including the time it takes to write the story, if the editor doesn't like it you having to re-do it, and extra art like cover art or graphic books.

You don't get an hourly rate but a contract based partially on sales, the average contract is usually for a beginner 500$ per 20 pg's + 10-15% royalties.

Which assuming it takes 5 hours per page about 5$ per hour.

And that's if you don't hire assistants. If you do then their cut comes out of your salery. And you do pay them an hourly rate, not a by contract.

The Manga-ka life is not one that you take if you want to get rich, One of my students makes a soccer manga, he's really poor and is learning english because he want's to make it big in America.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ELASHORTHYP (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Sorry I don,t know,but i hear you get payed for how many books u sell.I am also an aspiring Mangaka I don't even have any professional tools i would like to know where to buy manga paper and tone paper. I know how you feel its hard to find things you need for manga.
(\ /) (\ /)
( . .) (>.<)
c(")(") c(")(")

Last edited by ELASHORTHYP : 02-22-2008 at 07:42 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

02-22-2008, 06:18 PM

Sorry, what I wrote is if you're an acctual Manga-Ka

If you're just starting then you're looking at self publishing which is the Doujinshi racket. In that case you make what you sell after paying your own printing fee.

At Comiket the average comic sells between 200-500¥ (2-5$) the average unit is about 100-1000 comics depending on the popularity of your circle. The higher your print the less the comics cost to print so a 100 print is usually 500$ or so (for 20 B&W pages and colour cover) selling at 5$ you break even, a 1000 print is about the same price, selling for 5$ you make about 24,000$ but the key is to sell them all. That's the tricky part as nothing is worse then getting 1000 copies and then only selling 10.

Then you have to calculate your costs, time to make the comic, materials used, paying assistances, ect ect ect. In the end your profit is compleatly dependent on yourself.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Shiningmonkey (Offline)
Inventor of the s'moredog

02-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Sounds difficult but I'm up to the challenge
(#7 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

03-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Honestly, and not to snuff you or anything, but tell me again after you have 200 pages.

I've been trying to do publishing for the last 5 years, my company has two comics out but I see why the big comic companies always go for people with vast amounts of experiance and alwasy produce the same crap over and over again. I hate setting a deadline for a bunch of slack artists and then having none of them meet it and then having to deal with pushing the dates back.

Hell I'm a slack artist myself, which is why after 5 years of effort I smile knowledgably at those with big dreams but very few ink stains on their clothing.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
DrunkenShinobi (Offline)
New to JF

03-20-2008, 09:13 AM

and how mach can Mangaka earn if his manga develop to anime, video games
etc...?

and can you add an example like Akira Toriyama? ^^"
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MangaHermit (Offline)
New to JF

03-20-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Thats the spirit kid, no pain no gain.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-20-2008, 05:28 PM

You must be missing something typing...Not that I know anything about this subject, but I do know that really popular manga artists have become extremley rich and made millions. Take Rumiko Takahashi for example. She's what? A multi-millionair? She's one of the richest women in Japan. Infact, I thought I read somwhere that she has waverd in and out of being the richest woman. There are other examples of millionair manga-ka like her (Kazuo Umezu being one) so popularity does have to factor in somwhere. I assume the companies reallypopular artists work uder must pay them much higher.