JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Question Please explain: Manga, Cosplay, Hentai. Anime, etc. - 05-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Right..

I have no idea about all the manga, Cosplay, Hentai. Anime, etc. Stuff.

Do the above words have an association within all these industries, or is it all totally seperate?

I believe that the word "hentai", means pervert. Is this correct?

Wear does Hentai come into it all?

Is Anime, Manga, Hentai, or only one?

Does anyone really know why the "Hentai" part exists?

I presume "Cosplay" means Costume Play?

I've noticed the galleries, and some dressers do look rather saucy, under or over age, no idea.

I've also recently posted a reply on a different thread in regards to thickly paged two colour comic style magazines that I often saw passengers on trains flipping through.

Does anyone know what the style of these magazines are called?

I do have one "style" magazine in black and white from Japan as a souvenir so it would be interesting to get an understanding of all the terminology.

I also have a few prototype characters which were the first made at the companies before mass production. The workmanship is fantastic.

What are these vinyl type characters called?

Cheers - Oz
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-30-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
]Right..

I have no idea about all the manga, Cosplay, Hentai. Anime, etc. Stuff.

Do the above words have an association within all these industries, or is it all totally seperate?
I don't quite understand the question, but I can define the words.

MANGA: Comics

COSPLAY: Costume play, dressing up as characters from manga, anime, or video games

ANIME: Cartoons, animated shows or movies (often associated with manga)

HENTAI: perverted, fetishism...erotic anime is often called "hentai" because it appeals to a niche market.

Quote:

Wear does Hentai come into it all?

Is Anime, Manga, Hentai, or only one?
I don't understand these questions, so I hope what I wrote above helps.

Quote:
Does anyone really know why the "Hentai" part exists?
Technically "hentai" is an adjective. Why hentai titles exist? Because sex sells.

Quote:

I presume "Cosplay" means Costume Play?

I've noticed the galleries, and some dressers do look rather saucy, under or over age, no idea.
Both. But believe it or not most real cosplayers do not dress "saucy" to titillate, but to put on another skin, so to speak.
Quote:
I've also recently posted a reply on a different thread in regards to thickly paged two colour comic style magazines that I often saw passengers on trains flipping through.

Does anyone know what the style of these magazines are called?
It was probably a weekly or monthly manga. Bound collection with several ongoing stories by different writers.

Quote:

I do have one "style" magazine in black and white from Japan as a souvenir so it would be interesting to get an understanding of all the terminology.

I also have a few prototype characters which were the first made at the companies before mass production. The workmanship is fantastic.

I think "plastic models".
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-30-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Perhaps "garage kit" might fit better if they were handmade or in limited numbers instead of mass production.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

Post 05-30-2009, 08:11 PM

Looks Like MMM answered all your questions LOL
Cosplay is something you do for fun cuz you enjoy it. You can dress up/cosplay as a character from an anime ( a manga but moving also a cartoon) or a manga( A comic book). Many people alsp cosplay as singers/rockstars.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Nyorin: "Garage Kit"

MMM: "Plastic models"

My correction to keep you both smiling:
Plastic models that are kept as garage kits.. But really, they are the perfect centrepiece in the right spot.

These models are typically sold in boxes, not hand made. The models I have were actually hand made, and were the prototypes from the relevant Japanese company before production. They also came with the original sketches. They are kept in the garage fully packed away and protected until I finalise a house purchase to unload things for good. I purchased them of a Yahoo JP auction seller.

MMM: You said:
"But believe it or not most real cosplayers do not dress "saucy" to titillate, but to put on another skin, so to speak."
(You could have fooled me for a sec )
As for the your other info. perfect!

Nobora: Appreciate your reply and you answered what I wanted to know with "Hentai" being associated with both, but more commonly?

As a side note, am I missing out on a different style of Japanese art/editorial/design?

Cheers - Oz