JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Colin (Offline)
JF Regular

Japan≠Anime? - 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM

There's something that's begun to bug me (to the extreme) about Japan.

And that's Anime.

I don't mean this in a "Let's all debate and get mad" (I think it's called trolling? Not big on forum lingo) sort of way, but just like a "healthy debate" sort of way. Don't know quite how to say it :s

Well, is anyone else more or less fed up about this whole Anime craze that's linked to Japan? I mean it's not really as prevalent in Japan as people seem to think yet that seems to be the one big hook thats pulling people to Japan. I just love so many things about Japan that the automatic assumption that I'm an anime kind of person (I don't watch any of it, nor do I read any manga) is just crazy. Especially the number of times people at school have been giving me the "Oh. You're THAT kind of person" look at school when I tell them I'm going to Japan for a year and I know exactly whats on their minds as they give the look. I mean, I'm a strong individual but the fact they have that false presumption against me is just unnecessary and annoying and I wish there was something other than anime that was seemed to be the main hook for foreigners.

Again, I don't mean this in a "troll" kind of way. I'm just curious if anyone shares my opinions or has anything to say about it.

Clicky my signature for my experiences-in-japan blog
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-30-2009, 11:01 PM

Very few of the foreigners who actually make it to Japan are there because of anime.

No one I know confuses Japan with anime and vice-versa, so it is hard for me to say.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
01-30-2009, 11:04 PM

I think i get what you are trying to say and i have talked with many people who have experiences like this, some of which have never watched an anime in their life. Ask yourself how much do these haters actually know about Japan other what they've heard or anime they happen to flip past on tv. Not everyone is going to be as intelligent and open minded as you and i have learned this painfully over the years. Im pretty much immune to most ignorance like this.

You shouldn't blame anime though as its a form of entertainment unique to Japan. It should not be the only focus but most of the time its all these people know. I mentioned to a co-worker that i was interested in Japanese tea ceremony and he gave the dirtiest look and it didn't bother me at all.

The best advice i could give is really to ignore them. They know nothing about you or the culture obviously and have no will to learn its not worth your time or aggravation get into with them in the end you will be the one who ends up getting upset and angry. Just focus on what you want and spend time with more like minded and open people.

Anime isn't the problem as usual people are the problem which is why my hope for mankind dwindles a little each day lol

(#4 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2009, 11:16 PM

Anime is the last reason for me to go to Japan, I think I won't even consider it as a reason. There's just alot of people who think that Japan is all about anime, that just annoys me.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-30-2009, 11:25 PM

Are there really a lot of people that think Japan=Anime? Where are you finding them?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
01-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Are there really a lot of people that think Japan=Anime? Where are you finding them?
Sadly MMM there are a lot more than think. I encounter at least 1 or 2 everyday who display a level of ignorance i didnt think was possible and these are adults mind you.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-30-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Sadly MMM there are a lot more than think. I encounter at least 1 or 2 everyday who display a level of ignorance i didnt think was possible and these are adults mind you.
I have never met anyone like that, so it is hard for me to imagine. Adults, huh? That's a little scary.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

01-30-2009, 11:58 PM

I see your point. I love everything about Japan, The culture, food, customs, food, Clothes, writing, music, food, manga, anime, food, LOL
(#9 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
01-31-2009, 12:06 AM

Here at me most don't even know anime is japanese lol

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

01-31-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I just love so many things about Japan that the automatic assumption that I'm an anime kind of person (I don't watch any of it, nor do I read any manga) is just crazy.
I thought I was the only person on this forum who had that experience.

I have all kinds of anime-obsessed friends now. I just look at them, nod slowly, smile, and look away... "yes, it's awesome; yes, I've read it; yes, I agree, it's great." I'm sick of lying. >.<

People say "Oh, you're interested in Japan! You'll love this person, she's really into anime!" It drives me insane! The can't even pronounce it right!

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs