JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

PAPRIKA...Confusing? - 04-20-2008, 12:21 PM

Watched Satoshi Kon's PAPRIKA last night. Looked amazing visually, but had a very confusing storyline. Did any one else have trouble understanding this movie, or is it just me?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

04-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraseven View Post
Watched Satoshi Kon's PAPRIKA last night. Looked amazing visually, but had a very confusing storyline. Did any one else have trouble understanding this movie, or is it just me?
Haha. Yeah, this is a confusing-ass movie, which is also why I love it

I think it's meant to be weird and very open for interpretation etc. It's about dreams coming true after all, and we all know how weird dreams can be...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

04-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Haha. Yeah, this is a confusing-ass movie, which is also why I love it

I think it's meant to be weird and very open for interpretation etc. It's about dreams coming true after all, and we all know how weird dreams can be...

You're right. I still enjoyed the film (as I have all of Kon Satoshi's so far) despite its 'confusing' plot. Actually, I prefer films to be a little surreal as they tend to be less predictable, make you think and are generally more memorable (I certainly won't forget Paprika in a hurry!).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2008, 06:51 PM

I couldn't really understand this movie very well. I thought it was because when I orderd it from Ondemand the subtitles were really hard to read and the didn't have the dubed version. Anyway, I agree that the visuals were excelent, and I really like how it had elements of almost all his previous works. The characters and imagery was clearly intentionaly reminicent of Perfect Blue, Milenium Actress, and Paranoia Agent. Possibaly also works that I havent yet seen like Tokyo Godfathers.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

04-22-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
I couldn't really understand this movie very well. I thought it was because when I orderd it from Ondemand the subtitles were really hard to read and the didn't have the dubed version. Anyway, I agree that the visuals were excelent, and I really like how it had elements of almost all his previous works. The characters and imagery was clearly intentionaly reminicent of Perfect Blue, Milenium Actress, and Paranoia Agent. Possibaly also works that I havent yet seen like Tokyo Godfathers.
Did anyone notice at the movie theatre at the end, posters were on display of the directors previous films Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Perfect Blue?

Cool!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2008, 07:13 PM

I noticed! There were so many reffrences to all his works it was really cool. Like a summery of all his work thrown together as something really trippy and insane.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

04-23-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
I noticed! There were so many reffrences to all his works it was really cool. Like a summery of all his work thrown together as something really trippy and insane.
Well spotted, lots of people miss that one!

This actually happened in the theatre we went to >>>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1120paprika.jpg (45.7 KB, 18 views)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2008, 12:33 AM

well...Ummm...only if you were stoned out of your mind
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
04-24-2008, 01:43 AM

I read a review someone had said about Paprika (been watching it a lot myself), where the guy said that Paprika "isn't a movie that's meant to be understood so much as simply experienced - or maybe dreamed." I couldn't agree with this more.

Also, wanting to add, is Tokyo Godfathers any good? I was at first turned away by the drag queen for some odd reason, but now that I've seen Paprika and Perfect Blue, I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't at least rent it.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.

Last edited by Aota : 04-24-2008 at 01:46 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

04-24-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aota View Post
I read a review someone had said about Paprika (been watching it a lot myself), where the guy said that Paprika "isn't a movie that's meant to be understood so much as simply experienced - or maybe dreamed." I couldn't agree with this more.

Also, wanting to add, is Tokyo Godfathers any good? I was at first turned away by the drag queen for some odd reason, but now that I've seen Paprika and Perfect Blue, I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't at least rent it.
TOKYO GODFATHERS is very funny, and one I have re-watched several times
(and somehow never seems to become less funny).

I bought the DVD just because the cover looked interesting, and the title suggested some sort of Tokyo Crime/Yakuza theme. How wrong I was...